OUR ROOTS i.e. WHERE WE COME FROM    

               

Our long history, with a number of defining moments – it is the way our institution and first of all people working here or somehow connected with the Hospital – must have gone to reach today’s destination. Several generations have worked hard to create this institution and its image. We look at them now, bringing back the history of the hospital and we thank them from the bottom of our hearts for their effort, thought and commitment.

Within the long time span, the primary Municipal Institutes of Health with a tuberculosis sanatorium - opened in 1917 as an institution above the usual standards - have been transformed many times to become the hospital of the 21st century - the John Paul II Hospital.

For the first 30 years the hospital had an infectious profile to fight against the epidemic of tuberculosis, diphtheria and scarlet fever, and in the 40s, smallpox. We cannot fail to remember those whose heroic acts – both during World War II when infectiousness was a good excuse to save many lives, and during the epidemic of tuberculosis and smallpox – when sacrificing their own health or even lives – brought help to the suffering. At that time, between 1936 and 1938, an unusual patient, „Secretary” of Divine Mercy as she used to say - Sister Faustina Kowalska - canonized by the Holy Father John Paul II in 2000 - was treated in our hospital on two occasions.

After World War II the former Municipal Institutes of Health gradually changed its profile to fight against new epidemics. The name was changed to the Municipal Infectious Hospital, and in 1948 to the Dr. Anka Regional Specialized Hospital. The institution expanded and a new specialization was added: lung diseases and tuberculosis. At the same time infectious diseases remained within the scope of the hospital’s activity. In the 60s a third significant speciality was established: cardiology, and then thoracic surgery and cardiac surgery. In 1979 the Centre of Thoracic Surgery within the grounds of the Hospital was transformed into the Institute of Cardiology, School of Medicine in Krakow. It started to develop dynamically in response to a growing social need: the epidemic of cardiovascular diseases.

 

Nasze korzenie

Hospital